Monday, August 19, 2013

#1 Highest: Humphrey's Peak

#1 Highest Peak: Humphrey's Peak
Summit Elevation: 12,633 ft.
Trail Length: 9.2 miles
High Point: 12,633 ft.
Elevation Change: 3,333 ft.

8 August 2013

The day after my amazing Grand Canyon hike, I headed back to Tucson - but first stopped in Flagstaff to hike Arizona's highest peak: Humphrey's. I luckily happened upon this hike the night before while Googling, and I'm so happy I did. This was a gorgeous hike from start to finish, and so completely different than the usual hikes I do in Tucson. Humphrey's is a series of long switchbacks through a forest of pine trees. After 3.8 miles you reach a saddle that connects to Weatherford Trail (which leads up to Agassiz Peak, right next to Humph). The next mile up to the summit is a very steep climb along a treeless, very rocky ridge. The rocks (boulders, really) are a little difficult to climb on and you really have to pay attention to your footing. If you're afraid of heights, either don't do this hike or don't look down! It can get pretty windy up there and there are times where you're really close to the edge of the cliff. Good thing I love heights. :) 

There are several false summits so, at times, it feels like you'll never get there. But when you do reach the summit, the view is breathtaking and it feels like you're on the top of the world. You can see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which I was told is like 150 miles away, so that was incredible. You also get amazing views of all of the surrounding peaks (Kendrick included) and the town of Sedona. It was pretty cold up there (50 degrees!) and windy, so I only hung out for about 10 minutes before heading back down. 

Gorgeous hike; would do it again in a heartbeat. 





No comments:

Post a Comment